Quote of the Blog


Monday, January 25, 2010

An Outpouring of Support

So the night before my first cancer treatment I am lounging at home in my designer duds: wintry knit sweater, cherry pattern jammy pants, red socks with green polka dots, and fluffy purple slippers, without a bra because of my very recent surgery and Rudy and Becky show up as expected. Well, they know I am too comfortable with them to dress well for them.

Well, not a few minutes later, Kari (who just had her own surgery-the trooper!), Carter, and Kenzie show up but they are good friends and drop in from time to time anyway and probably wanted to wish me well.

But not a minute later, Carly, John, Ben, and Ella stop in with a plate of brownies. No, a mountain of brownies! And behind them, Chris, Karen, and their daughters, Elsa and Aila who live about an hour or so away!

So I got that everyone showed up to offer their support and well wishes and it really made me happy, despite the way I was dressed, to see so many of my friends and feel of their love.

But that's not all! Apparently, Carly headed up a little good works and involved a network of friends to wish me well. They surprised me with a booklet of well wishes, inspirational quotes, and loving thoughts all sent in by friends and family all over the States. I got all teary once I saw what it was and did NOT attempt to read one while the group was there for fear I would not be able to turn off the water works.

Then I was presented with a quilt to surround me with love during my treatments and inevitable yuckiness. For each comment sent in to Carly and Neal, Carly included another mini support ribbon on the quilt. And there were a lot! That felt so great!

At the risk of sounding like an infomercial, "But wait, that's not all!" All those who worthily held the priesthood, Neal, Carter, John, and Chris, placed their hands on my head and pronounced a blessing of healing, strength, and a continued understanding of my Heavenly Father's love for me. It was so great to be surrounded by these men who I love very much.

It was a great night and it really got me set for starting my treatments. Thanks to all who had the opportunity to send in their prayers and well wishes. I love reading them when I'm alone. Thanks for everyone who took time out to show up and share their love. Thanks especially to Carly who put the special gifts together. Thank you to Rudy and Becky for taking photos of this unexpected and very special moment. I love all of you very much and I really do know God is taking care of me through my friends and family as well as through the power of many prayers said in my behalf. My heartfelt thanks!

And yes, we shared the brownies with everyone!

2 comments:

Lois Lane said...

Girl you know we love you and Carly did an awesome job with everything! We are here for ANYTHING!

Dave said...

Good friends are the best and hard to come by!