Quote of the Blog


Friday, January 8, 2010

Medical Update

I'd rather be posting something than cancer info but this seems to be a good way to keep everyone posted. I'm going to have to get more pictures of my kids or something to balance out all this unpleasant medical stuff.

Anyway, I have Stage III cancer and we will be doing 3 body scans next week to see if there is any noticeable spread. If there is, that's Stage IV and we will take another look at our plan of attack. For now, if things remain at Stage III, we will start on a chemical IV drug that is NOT chemo but like chemo in a week or two. I'll get a port surgically placed so they don't have to keep sticking me with IVs. I'll take the drug on M, T, W, Th, and F with the weekend off. It's side effects are suppose to knock me on my rump physically with fever, chills, shakes, nausea, and fatigue. The challenge will be more so psychologically, they say. Yippee me! Yippee for the family!

Anyway, I do the above regimen for 1 month. Then the port comes out and I get to give myself shots of the same drug on M, W, and F only! The side effects should lessen with the decreased dosage. This regimen will last 11 months.

I think my mom, a God-loving woman, said it right, when all I heard was a "Shit!!!" on the other end of the phone. She will be coming out to help us with the kids, medical crap, and life in general within a week or so. She will be staying for several weeks as of now. Good-bye office, hello make-shift guest bedroom.

They will continue to give me body scans every 3 months or so for a while to keep an eye on me. After being overwhelmed with all the info presented at the cancer center Neal and I have been forming more questions in our heads that we will be grilling our lucky doctor with at the end of next week. We want to make sure we are making the best decision for our family.

2 comments:

karen said...

Oh keri !! You are one of the most brave women I met. I am so sad that this has to happen again, but we all are with you. Please let me know if you need help. We can drive up and play with the kids, order a takeout (on us) and visit you guys. You are in our prayers. We love you !!

Michelle- A look at our lovely life said...

I'm sad to hear that you have to deal with this guys. We love your sweet family so much and are bummed that you have to endure anything that would take away fun time with your sunshiney, cute kids. I wish I could take your treatment for you a couple days a week. If somehow it could make you still get better, I would do it.