Quote of the Blog


Thursday, October 1, 2009

Squish Your Boobies!


Yes, October is Breast Cancer Awareness Month, so no better time to start regular self breast exams than now. Don't know what to do? Check out this American Cancer Society webpage: http://www.cancer.org/docroot/CRI/content/CRI_2_6x_How_to_perform_a_breast_self_exam_5.asp
If I had been doing my self breast exam, I would have found my breast tumors much earlier. They were VERY noticeable when we actually found them.

Guys, don't feel left out! Pay the boys a visit every month. Instructions for a self testicular exam can be found at: http://tcrc.acor.org/tcexam.html

I was 28 years old when diagnosed with breast cancer and I had no family history. Nothing like telling your sweet husband of under a year, "Hey, it's breast cancer." We have come a long way since then. I have been breast cancer free for 6 years now. I have been blessed with good health, family and friends to support me, spiritual growth, and a reconstructed breast that will never sag with age. :-)

I am also grateful for my two beautiful children, which are not always possible after the breast cancer treatment I received. If you are ever diagnosed with cancer and are prescribed treatment that may affect your reproductive chances, please check out Fertile Hope http://www.fertilehope.org/index.cfm , a national, nonprofit organization dedicated to providing reproductive information, support and hope to cancer patients and survivors whose medical treatments present the risk of infertility. Your doctor/oncologist may not know of this resource (mine didn't!) so educate them.

Here's to good health!

2 comments:

Melissa Farr said...

Hi Keri and Neal, Thanks for sharing this post. I can't believe it has been 6 years. I still remember when you found out. Your sweet baby is getting so big. Our little Kaylynn is 12 1/2 pounds and 23 1/2 inches. She is a shorty. I found your blog through Kari's. Melissa

Jamie said...

Keri, you're amazing. I still can't believe that you've had to experience cancer. You're my (American) idol. :)