Quote of the Blog


Monday, July 9, 2018

July 8-9

We had planned on doing a longer but less strenuous hike up Grizzly Creek on this Sunday but many people had said that Hanging Lake was worth it. I knew it was shorter but also more strenuous but it also had a great payoff. I thought I'd do it someday when the kids were older but then changed my mind last minute, knowing I couldn't guarantee that and knowing that soon they would be limiting the number of persons who could use the trail in a day because it is so popular.  So we went for it!

We got up at 5:15 am, picked up the boxed breakfast option we'd asked for the night before at the hotel desk and made our short drive up there. The parking lot fills fast but we were maybe the 5th ones there at 5:45. We finished up eating and sun screening up, as it would rise sooner than later, and made our way to the trail head. Do you want to know how to make a slow, inattentive kid and automatic leader? Put a rocky, steep mountain trail in front of him! Rhys loves dirt trails (which are in short supply where we live--most everything's paved) and hopped to it. Sophie kept good pace and her ADHD brain blessed us with so many details I would have missed--bugs, leaves, moss, you name it.

We stopped regularly to catch our breath because it was steep but we were pretty well adjusted to the elevation we were at. Up a canyon, over 7 bridges, and then there it was--Hanging Lake--more like a pond but beautiful in color and surrounding greenery. Up just a bit further was Spouting Rock in which, yet, water spouts from a rock, and trickles down to Hanging Lake below.  We spent a lot of time just looking, observing fish and birds, snacking, and being us. On the way down we each slipped on the trail at least once for good measure.
Sun rising on our walk to the trail head




Pretending to shower in the waterfall



Really clear - see the fish



The canyon we hiked up through



The backside of water!

After Hanging Lake we decided to check out Grizzly Creek and see what that trail would have been like and play in the creek.


Wild blueberries



Where Grizzly Creek enters Colorado River




My kids threw rocks in the river for hours. I was really excited to forage wild berries. Sophie ate one and Rhys utterly refused. I've picked blueberries on a farm before and they look the same except more tree than bush-like and two other hikers pointed them out to me. I wasn't eating poisonous berries but I couldn't convince him this was a good idea. Best tasting blueberries I've ever had but not as juicy.

We had a great day but were certainly sore after two days of strenuous activity.

July 9
I let us sleep in because the kids wanted a low key day from what they communicated the night before.  I had a surprise activity I had saved money for and a more low key option that I presented to them that morning. One was a short, flat hike and then go get some fudge and hang out at the pool at the hotel and the other is what they picked--a day at a mountain top amusement park--obviously not the low key option.

We started on a lame ferris wheel and then said forget it to the tame rides and set out for excitement. First up was the alpine sled ride in which we each got to control the speed of our own vehicle. The kids went first and Sophie said she could here me screaming still when she got the the bottom as I left behind her. Then we went the roller coaster and in one ride my body said I was done for a while so I sat as the kids went again. There was no line really so no wait. Then Sophie sat with me and Rhys proceeded to two more times and would have gone a 5th but I told him it was time to move on.

Next we took the swings that go in a circle and swing you right over the edge of the cliff to the canyon, over 1,000 feet below. At this point I was motion sick so we took a cave tour to cool off, given the 98 degree day, and get centered again. The cave popped out of the canyon wall to a balcony where we could see the swing we were just on above us about 100-200ft.



cave bacon

After being cooled off, we headed to the ride I'd been waiting for. A large swing that takes you over the edge of the canyon but depending on which way you face you are looking straight down over 1,000 ft.with nothing but a lap bar holding you in.  I sat with Sophie and took the side I could look down. I lost it. I screamed and twisted and cried a bit because it was scary and a true adrenaline rush. Then I did it again because although I couldn't hold it together, it was just that good at doing it's job of freaking me out. I sat with Rhys that time.  
Then I was done. I was sick from the heat, adrenaline, and motion. My kids buddied but with a new friend we made in line and went on next ride with her while her dad and I sat out the Mining ride that drops you 200 ft in utter darkness. They went twice. I asked the guy if he was making his way back to the main pavilion after this and thank goodness he was. I asked if he'd just stay with us and we could all go back the pavilion/exit together because I felt so bad. He was very obliging and I was so grateful.

I was so happy the kids felt like they were done for the day too and we left. I promised the cute, young dating couple we were paired with that I wouldn't puke on the gondola ride down to the valley and made good on my word but it was VERY challenging. We went straight to the car, straight to the hotel, and straight to the pool to cool off and feel better and it did the job while keeping the kids happy.

No comments: