Quote of the Blog


Friday, March 13, 2015

Winter Spring Break

Why our district feels the need to schedule spring break during winter, we know not.  Still time with the kids is good. What have we done...

Movies viewings at our awesome public library. Woohoo! We love free entertainment! 101 Dalmatians and Big Hero 6 with exciting raffles that didn't pan out for us but we still had fun.


Play time with cousins at Kid Mania.  Crazy busy at spring break but once we found a table (15 minutes into our stay) my cousin, Barbara and I chatted up a storm while the kids ran crazy for 3 hours and 40 minutes. Insane!

Sophie and Rhys did great playing with and entertaining my best bud's two youngest.  Sophie took serious the title of "babysitter" while I prepped dinner. They were both great and so were the two guests.
Sophie held, read, sang, covered, tickled, made music, provided pacifiers, and loved on this little one.

Sophie has created a fort in the playroom with a taped sign in all marker caps: Animal Clinic. It's been there all week and they've been happy all week.  I don't know if any healing has taken place for the animals but Mom is enjoying their imagination.

It was in the 60s today so we had a nice walk. Baby leaves and little buds and blossoms popping up everywhere.  So much to look at and enjoy.  The fuzzy dandelions just started popping up and we blew our fair share of seeds into the air. Shhhh! Don't tell our neighbors.  Okay, really we were in a green belt at the time.

This is Sophie's new thing this year: posing.




So, so sweet!

My friend, Annie, has a beautiful tradition of creating intricately designed eggs using the Ukrainian dying method.  We stopped in to see some of her work and show us the tools and share the method with us.  She explained that it is not a Easter tradition there but these eggs are given at special occasions and are filled with symbolism to wish the receiver well.  We've been checking it out online as well and learning more about the symbols.

Just so everyone is clear that my kale chip and seaweed loving kids are not forced to eat only vegetables, we baked cookies that met Sophie's specifications (chocolate dough & mint chips) and Mom's (ingredients I can approve of and yummy)!  My kids and I love baking together. I recently came upon a website that I've been happy with for creating whole grain treats without super flat or texturally weird results: Texanerin.  She's got a killer Chewy Oatmeal Raisin and her Molasses Cookie is on my To Try list.

For St. Patrick's Day I bought a couple cute packs of Lindt candy in green packaging to give away as inspired to do so.  Today, the kids ran out to give our rockin' mail carrier, Gaye, the goodies with a handwritten note letting her know how "lucky" we are to know her.  She treat our kids great.  Let's them run along the whole street watching her and talking up a storm with her. She even lets them hand her mail or open the mail box doors on a few.  She is always smiling and saying 'hi' when we are out.  I made sure to step out and tell her what it means to us.

Also this week, I started the Orange Rhino Challenge to help me better control my negative, quick reactions or my temper with my family, especially the kids.  I'm sure it's not a perfect system but my Heavenly Father and I would be happy with "better" for a start.  I am actually tracking my behavior and to see if there is a pattern and what alternatives I have...which I am finding are many.  I know when I yell, using mean words, or flick or spank my children, things only get and I don't like that mommy, so I am looking to really lessen or eliminate those behaviors and replace it with something that helps or at least does no further harm.

Neal's been working so hard this week and putting in extra time.  I so appreciate him doing what I would hate to do everyday.  He is a trooper and a good provider financially, as well as emotionally for our family. 

But I am pretty sure he would rather do that than clean up the vomit this morning. Yep, we are bringing our break to a close with a stomach bug.  It's just my little guy so far and I hope he's on the mend soon.

No comments: