Quote of the Blog


Monday, March 30, 2015

Ukrainian Egg Dyeing


Do you remember I mentioned my friend, Annie, and her Ukrainian egg decorating?  Well she opened up her home to let women come in, undisturbed by their own children, to try their hand at this egg dyeing method.  It took me two hours to make this egg. It is a cool process of applying beeswax and then dyeing, covering the color you want to preserve with more beeswax and they dying in the next darkest color. It was mind bending at the beginning but then it began to come together for me.  I kept is as simple as I could and was pleased with the way my first go at it turned out.  Green and red seem to be used a lot so I went with green and brick.  I had fun and thanks Annie for teaching me a cool tradition passed down from your Czechoslovakian grandfather.
Annie blowing out the yolk

Annie, Danette (my neighbor & friend), Me


No comments: