Quote of the Blog


Friday, May 24, 2013

Texas Pride!

So, if you've kept up with our blog over the years, you know, as transplants, we find Texas a bit over the top about itself.  Examples are Texas shaped topiaries, the Texas flag or state outline dripping off everything they can stick it on--like the walls of every under or overpass, declaring a official Texas state lizard...a lizard, people. Not normal stuff like a state flower or bird (bluebonnet and northern mockingbird, by the way), but even a lizard...it goes on.

Well, when I first started working here seven years ago, it was as a speech-language pathologist in an elementary school setting.  I was in my closet of an office when announcements came on and following the Pledge of Allegiance, I felt like I was being pulled into another dimension, as they proceeded to do the Texas Pledge of Allegiance.  I was dumbfounded.  I wandered out into the hall, popped my head into the nearest special education classroom and asked a friendly teacher, "What was that?!" Her reply, "Oh, yeah, in Texas we pledge the Texas flag." Um, okay. Different.

I mean, in California, sure, I'd see the California flag along side the U.S. flag at state buildings and state parks and I took pride in my state.  BUT the Texas flag and the Texas state are everywhere: mailboxes, sides of sheds, stepping stones in garden paths, billboards, state shaped hedge mazes at the local park....It makes me chuckle.  It's sort of fun.  And I know there is an amazing history at the roots of all this in-your-face pride.  This state was made up of amazingly strong and dedicated settlers, one of the many reasons Texas values it's independence so entirely.  Not being born and raised here, it is interesting to observe all of it.

Be that as it may, our sweet children were born Texans.  And as a kindergartner, Sophie has been waiting all year to have her turn to participate in the Pledge (the one we all know) and the Texas Pledge during morning announcements at school.  Well it was her time to shine like a Texas star this week. Way to go, Sophie! Hooray America!  Hooray Texas!  Here is 43 seconds of absolutely riveting footage. Lucky you!

No comments: