Quote of the Blog


Friday, December 9, 2011

Enjoying Our Kids

It is so funny to see things through your children's eyes.  Just wanted to share some cute things about the kids and what they're up to.

On Thanksgiving night while cuddling with Sophie for a few minutes before turning out the light for bed, we were chatting about the day.  Mom: Did you like going in the bounce house? Did you like going on the train?  Did you like all the yummy Indonesian food?  Sophie answered in the affirmative to all the above but then sincerely added, "Mom, next Thanksgiving can we kill a turkey?"  Sophie, our traditionalist.

This season we have taken the opportunity a couple of times to donate money where The Salvation Army bell ringers were present in front of our local grocery store.  Today, on our way toward the front of the store Sophie says, "We have to pay to get in, huh?"  So I had the opportunity to explain that we are just helping out someone who needs it, but we have to pay for our groceries before we leave.

Also today Sophie brought home a paper gingerbread man wondrously decorated with real candy, chocolate chips, and cookies.  I suggested that we tape it up on the back door in our dining room.  She wanted to put it somewhere else and that was fine by me.  Not an hour later, I hear cries of terror as she has discovered her brother scavenging off her precious creation.  At mom's "No! Yucky! Glue!", Rhys has burst into tears!  We gave Rhys glue-free snacks and Sophie dried beans and seeds to glue in place of the missing marshmallows, cookies, and what not.  Peace reigned in the house once again.  The finished product was then taped to the back door as previously suggested by one wise mother.

It's been cold as of late.  Getting into the car, I tell Sophie, "My hands hurt they are so cold!"  She is confused so I let her feel my cold hands. "Oh Mommy, you colded my hand!" was her response.

Our garage door has been touchy for some time and as I play with the clicker for a few minutes to get the door to achieve adequate vehicle clearance, I have the kids convinced that if they wiggle their fingers at the door and say "Happy Powers!" it will eventually work!  Though David fixed the door's issues while in town for Thanksgiving, we thank him that we have significantly less opportunities to practice our magic.  Thanks David!

We are blessed to have Neal come home for lunch nearly each day.  Rhys fully acknowledges his father's presence from the time he walks in the door but feels it necessary, mid way through our meal to point to Neal and gleefully say, "Dada! Hi."  A well loved man.

I will be at the computer and suddenly feel quite chilled only to discover our Rhys has climbed up on a chair or unstable toy with wheels to play with the switches.  He's also been quite adventurous climbing up on the kitchen island, and half walls to get in on the action or start dancing.  I'll turn around and there he is--much taller than I expected!

Sophie and her parents have been arguing about what clothes are appropriate to wear during these now cold winter months.  She will often run and change her clothes to shorts and a short sleeve shirt and being in cold given her poor choices has not been the unsatisfying natural consequence we were hoping.  Done with all the fits and whining about her desired summer clothes, I finally said, "I hope the summer fairy doesn't come and take the summer clothes.  She takes them to where it's summery."  Then a day or two later I emptied her closet and drawers of all summer clothes including her swimsuit, light PJs, and all. 

Later she came to me with her sad, whiny tone about how all her short sleeve shirts were gone.  "Oh my gosh! Do you think that - gasp - the summer fairy came for the summer clothes?!  Let me see!"  Indeed a brief survey of the closet did reveal the nymph had done her handy work.  She began to cry asking if she would ever bring the clothes back.  I said that she probably would when it was warmer weather and summer again.  Apparently, that is all it took to appease our child because she responded with a matter-of-fact, "Oh, okay." and was instantly off doing her own thing like nothing had happened.  Yes!  Thank you mythical creature!  Mom remains the good guy and wins!

Or so I thought, because now I have to tell her endlessly to pull her sleeves and pant legs down!
And I have no idea where our little Rhys gets the idea he can climb up there and teeter around invincibly!

Oh, look!  A rare picture of us in contentment.  I love my napping babies!

No comments: