Quote of the Blog


Monday, April 16, 2018

Back in the Race

This is the half marathon that I've been training for after a year and a half break from running. It took a long time and I never lost the weight to be at a safe weight for this distance event. In fact, I gained. So given this fact, I have run intervals at a much slower pace to keep it as safe as I can. This is also the first half I've trained on my own for. I did have my friends, Anjuli and Amanda sign up with me.


It was cold and really windy that morning and that did not change even when the sun came up. I could not feel my fingers or nose the first 2 miles. Mile 8 was all gradual uphill with headwind which was fun to play with and I was glad to see my husband and kids out cheering for me at the end of mile 8 and the finish. They were all wearing shorts, mind you.

I finished way after my friends but Anjuli and her family stayed int eh cold to cheer me in. I was so happy to have them and my own family there at the end. This is the first time Neal was able to join me at a half.

It was a good race. I always give myself a window goal time. My fastest time being 3 hr, 10 min for this race given I was doing 4 min run:1 min walk intervals. The wind was hard but it was also fun and I played with my effort/pace throughout the race. I came in with an official time of 3 hours, 7 minutes, 44 seconds, well under 2 minutes on my best goal time!

No comments: