Quote of the Blog


Monday, December 8, 2014

Awesome Sunday

Yesterday was fast and testimony meeting at church.  This is a special Sabbath set aside as the first of the month in which members of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints go without food and drink voluntarily for a certain period of time. We believe fasting combined with sincere prayer can strengthen us spiritually, bring us closer to God, and help us prepare ourselves and others to receive His blessings.  The money we would have spent on meals for our family on that day, is given to provide for those in need in our congregation.  This is called a fast offering.

Anyhow, on this selected Sunday, we also have the opportunity, once the sacrament has been passed for us to renew our covenants or promises to God, for us to share our testimonies as prompted by the Holy Ghost.  Yesterday was the first time Sophie mentioned that she wanted to share her testimony.  She told me she felt good about baptism and wanted to share her belief in this ordinance.  Upon standing at the podium, she decided that she felt too shy.

I am so pleased with her--that she recognized the Spirit witnessing to her, that she had the desire to share her testimony, and that she had the courage to approach the microphone.  I know the words will come in time and she and her Heavenly Father will be pleased that she shared her own witness, not prompted by her parents.

Her silence gave me the opportunity to share my testimony of Jesus Christ, that he works with us wherever we are in our journey in life, that he loves us, and that as we obey His commandments and lean into the Savior, we are better able to receive the blessings He is already showering down on us.

The day came to a beautiful close as we were able to view The First Presidency's Christmas Devotional by fireside and with our first mugs of hot cocoa of the season.  We enjoyed their pertinent and uplifting messages about our Savior and the lovely singing by the choir.

I liked when President Eyring quoted Doctrine and Covenants 11:12-13.

12 And now, verily, verily, I say unto thee, put your trust in that Spirit which leadeth to do good—yea, to do justly, to walk humbly, to judge righteously; and this is my Spirit.
13 Verily, verily, I say unto you, I will impart unto you of my Spirit, which shall enlighten your mind, which shall fill your soul with joy;

That is how I feel as I make efforts to live more like Christ, repent, try again, strive.  Even though I am not perfect and won't be in this lifetime, I am filled, I feel joy.  Even when really hard things happen in life, it is doable and I still feel loved. I hope we can all feel an extra measure of that Spirit, especially at Christmas.

No comments: