Quote of the Blog


Sunday, December 7, 2014

2014 Nativity

This year I was asked back at the end of September or the beginning of October, if I would serve as the Inventory Chair for our community's Nativity Exhibit provided by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.  After a discussion with my husband, because it would require a lot of support from him while I fulfilled my duties, I gave a quick, "YES!"  I love being part of the Nativity Exhibit.  I had served as an inventory committee member for a few years and last year I was able to be the inventory chair's assistant.  I was so pleased that Stephanie (pictured below with a white turtleneck) said yes as well.  She worked as my co-chair and is amazing.  With our two brains we were able to improve the system quite a bit this year. We trained over 20 women to inventory nativities and decor.
Over the span of 4 days the gym in our church morphs from a basketball court to a gorgeous display including lights and music.  This year the head of Nativity reduced the amount of displayed nativities to approximately 350 (down 200 from last year) and increased the seating area to view the musical performances and the rare bible collection.  Both draw a lot of people in because groups and churches throughout the community are encouraged to perform and the bibles are so unique and interesting.

I put in 34 hours during just this week.  More over the previous months but it has been a pleasure to be part of something bigger than any one person. My daughter's favorite part was the live nativity.  She liked how Joseph held the baby too.  My son liked the nativity done in little puppy figures.  Neal and I both enjoyed the bible display most.  The owner was on hand and answered questions, told stories, and handled them so we could see what was unique about them and even let our children hold a finger bible, a complete one--with all the New and Old Testament, along with it's case which included a magnifying glass built in the lid.  Want to see me sweat?  Just place a valuable, rare object in the hands of my children.


First time I had seen Joseph Smith's signature in person.  This has excerpts of the Bible only.

First Edition, King James Bible (1611)

Paintings on the edges of this bible are only visible when it is opened.
This handwritten Bible page is from about 1250.  There are 12 lines per inch and it would take one day to complete on column, 3 years to complete one Bible.
One of my favorite's because my husband's paternal grandmother was named after this Marie Antoinette, and later when she found out her demise, she asked her mother why she would name her that?  Her mother said she didn't know Marie Antoinette's history.  She just thought it was a pretty name.
Reid Moon, the collector and owner of the books, also had a bible owned by King George III, who was king of England at the time of the American Revolution. It was from 1770.  There were several others but those listed above really caught our eye.

During this young lady's musical performance, her young sister sidled up to her and "played" her miniature toy violin along side her big sister.  So cute though it didn't make a sound!
Again, one of my favorite ways to begin the Christmas season.  I love that the kids are a little older and appreciate the nativities, especially the live one, and the musical numbers.  And I am thankful for a husband that picks up the slack at home while I tend to my Nativity related duties.  Hope you have or find a tradition that elevates the spirit of the season for you too.

No comments: