Quote of the Blog


Thursday, June 26, 2014

Keri Turns 40!

I have been looking forward to this one for awhile! Forty really is fabulous! Given my health history, I am thrilled to be 40 and aging. My life is really good right now. No major drama. I'm comfortable with myself. I am thoroughly blessed in family, friends, and circumstances.  I am happy independent of my circumstances and know I am loved by God. And I keep working on loving Him back.

For my birthday, we had family in town--Kira and David. I told Neal I sort of wanted to recognize my birthday in some way--it was my fortieth, after all.  I said something like dinner with friends or something.  He said okay and then not much after that.  I sort of brought it up here and there.  He said that with family in town we would just do dinner with friends or something after they left.

Then I started talking to Cherri, my friend, when we ran in the morning, about it all. One morning I was saying--Was he going to do something or not. I kind of want him to do something. It doesn't have to be big. Should I sit down and plan something with him?  Then the next time I ran I thought about my circumstances, the amazing husband I have, and decided then and there to drop it.  I told Cherri that I was just going to not worry about it.  He had never disappointed me with major stuff like this, I could wait to acknowledge my milestone, and I would have a great birthday anyway because I am happy and grateful for my life and to have company in town anyway. Time to just enjoy the ride.

My birthday arrived and I started the day with a run because I saw my sister-in-law make my birthday dessert--Toffee Butter Torte. It was practically butter, sugar, and candy. How can that be bad? Then I was gifted with clothing and accessories that trumpeted I was 40. I got the running shoes I desired too! We went off to Dallas to enjoy a park, banh mi (Vietnamese sandwich) from food trucks, and the art museum. For dinner we had at my request, pho ga (Vietnamese chicken noodle soup--amazing). We played games until late and dove into the torte unabashedly. Great birthday!  Happy girl!

Two days later, Kira took me out to shop for my birthday gift. She helped add to my exercise apparel.  Upon returning home this happened--



I was genuinely surprised. Shocked really.  And I was so excited and truly filled with gratitude for such a circle of love and support to surround me and celebrate with me! Besides my own family and relatives, there were about 8 other families who were able to make it. 

Cherri was there and she told me she was cracking up on the inside at my conversations with her because Neal had already made the plans and invited her. She did a good job keeping it under my radar.  See, I was right to follow the prompting to just let it go and enjoy my life.  And see, my Neal never disappoints when it really matters.  Love that man!

Thanks to all that came to help celebrate that day, and who helped out with food and decorations.  You all rock!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE your joy of aging! Happy late 40th!