Quote of the Blog


Monday, March 21, 2011

Artfully Said

I finished up my second day of routine (every 3 months) body scans at the Cancer Center today (results Monday the 28th). In the lobby they had artwork on display that was created by cancer patients, survivors, family member/friends, and caregivers depicting their experiences and their comments.

Two paintings really helped me put words to my own experience last year. Despite the positive attitude, last year was tough--tough for me, the family, and some friends. In the comments on one of the pictures, the cancer patient described her cancer treatment as "swimming up stream." That is it! I thought. You are doing it. You are exhausted. And your fighting to move forward in almost unnoticeable increments. Fighting cancer is like swimming up stream.

Another painting showed a staircase ascending but with a few consecutive steps torn up and unusable. That is what last year felt like too, at times. Like you were making your way and then suddenly you are stuck. Everything is on hold. You can see the plans ahead but you are just stuck, unable to move while you and everyone else deals with the cancer.

Did I grow from yet another cancer experience? Yes. I learned some things and really felt my Heavenly Father's love for me and my family. I gained some patience, humility, and gratitude--although I know those don't appear to be blatant characteristics of mine. But if there is to be opposition in all things, I thought it was appropriate to share the other side of cancer as well. You know cancer isn't all fuzzy bunnies and rainbows!

No comments: