Quote of the Blog


Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Cookies, Confrences, and Concerts

Our family would like to personally thank the Pillsbury dough boy for cranking out loads of dough and Kroger for their amazing discount on said dough because we were able to make a ton of cookies this past week and deliver a yuletide sugar rush to many people that help our family is loving ways. Sure homemade would have been nice but this way we got to love on some people and stay sane at the same time. Yay for good mental health during the holidays.

Also this week, Sophie was able to present at her own 504 Plan meeting (in which accommodations for her ADHD are decided) for the first time. This is in an effort to help her develop the skills necessary to advocate for herself and encourage gratitude for those who work for her good.  We've been prepping her by helping her take online surveys about her learning style and her strengths and weaknesses. Though she was wavering on her desire to participate in this manner, she did great and had a good experience I hope she will continue to grow on.

After introducing all the people in the room, Sophie presented the following (with good eye contact) and then gave feedback on what accommodations were helpful and useless:


I’ve been learning more about myself and I wanted to share some things with you. 


I learn best by hearing and listening. Some things that may work for me are having test questions read out loud or studying new material by reading it out loud. 


I am also a tactile learner which means I learn by doing and touching. I do best with touching, drawing, building and moving. Hands-on activities are great for me. I also like to be able to take short breaks during studying.


These are some of my strengths.

Bravery: I speak up for what is right, even if others do not agree with me!

Zest: I live life with excitement and energy filled with adventure to!

Leadership: I am good at providing leadership and direction when I am with a group of people!

I have an appreciation for beauty and things done well. I love humor too.


Perseverance is sticking with something even if it is difficult. This is something that can be hard for me. Teachers and people can help by encouraging me. Humor is also helpful!!! Putting me down is not welcome. 

Thank you for setting up my 504 plan and helping me. 

We were so proud of her and all said she had matured a lot his year. We agree.

That day and evening, Sophie performed with the 6th grade choir, singing holiday songs to senior residents, shoppers, and family. They did great again. 
The unicorn beside Sophie, is her friend.


No comments: