Quote of the Blog


Wednesday, September 20, 2017

HomEWork

We knew it would be a tough year and it is, especially for our Sophie. The teachers are sticking to the curriculum and moving on even when there are many left behind. We have had to work with teachers and adjust her 504 plan (accommodations for those with health impairments - ADHD for us!) to help balance her life and help her feel success in math for what she is able to accomplish.

It is a hard go for the whole family as it affects our family's schedule, we experience her and our emotions together, and we try to see the good and not lose her spark. Sadly, see her spark disappear often. It is hard to know how to help and love in just the right way. In the meantime, we have been conversing with her and teachers, praying as a family for assistance, introducing small group instruction  inside and outside of school hours, and try to find way to let her know we are on her side even if we don't agree the ugly should just go away.

As a mom, I am really trying to practice empathy. This is a Christ-like characteristic that I really struggle with so I can see why I have been given many opportunities to practice it. The balance I am trying to achieve is empathy while still holding her accountable to what is actually important and not losing my patience during this repeated process. Lots of stretching for both of us.

Here are just a few tangible ways I share my empathy with her. Notes I post occasionally in her study area to keep her smiling and infrequently, sugary treats.


No comments: