Quote of the Blog


Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Welcome Autumn

Fall is here! How do I know it's the first day of fall? I was still enjoying myself at the end of this morning's run.  Love cooler temperatures. Honestly, we've been feeling a bit autumny (yes, a new word! I'm a speech-language pathologist. I earned a degree. I should be able to make up new words whenever I feel like it--and do!)--anyway, we've been feeling a bit autumny lately in anticipation of the season.
For my Neal, I put this up last year and this year with new reasons written on the leaves.  His favorite reason why I fall for him? When he tries to hold back a smile.  Love that face.

Our family has been starving squirrels.  This act of cruelty is not intentional. It's just that we've been collecting acorns for one of my fall craft projects.  We even baked them so worms and nastiness won't hatch out of them like last time.  Lesson learned.

Today, to usher in the actual first full day of autumn (because it really started at 9ish last night--this from my husband who is packed with little tidbits like that), the kids brought decorated jars filled with candy corn to their teachers.  The attached notes read, "Here's hoping your teeth don't rot out of your head. --The van der Upwichs"  Just saying it like it is.

Also, I hosted a Fall Recipe Swap at lunch.  I had fall napkins, candy corn scattered on the serving area, my fall decor out, and I even put on fall colors. There were salads, sweet potato casserole, apple dumplings, pumpkin cornbread, crackers with orange-cranberry spread, crunchy slaw, apples and caramel dip, and cupcakes. The dish enjoyed by most was a nice quinoa salad. I made a Pear and Roasted Onion Salad with Balsamic Vinaigrette. I really liked the pumpkin cornbread.

There was a pretty good showing and I enjoyed getting to know some of the ladies better.  It was fun to talk about something we all enjoyed--food, holiday favorites and traditions.  Everyone left with a favor--a napkin folding pamphlet. Now, just need to email out all the recipes!

No comments: