Quote of the Blog


Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Veterans Day

To celebrate Veterans Day this year we had the opportunity to honor Neal's Uncle Keith as a hero at the children's school.  Although he lives out of state, he was kind enough to send us pictures that we requested.  He was proudly recognized on the Hero's Wall among other military officers.

Our family was able to share our gratitude while the honored guests participated in a parade around the halls of the school. Rhys was a cutie waving his flag.

Below is Keith's military, in his own words. We love you, Uncle Keith. Thank you for your service to our country and your continued love for our family.  Happy Veterans Day!

"In June of 1967 at the age of 19 I enlisted in the U.S. Navy and went off to boot camp in San Diego, CA. After that I had fallow on training at Coronado, CA on small boats, and Camp Pendleton, CA for weapons/explosive training.

After training We were off to DaNang, South Vietnam arriving Christmas Eve 1967. We were assigned to patrolling the rivers and coast areas in the northern part of the country on what is known as River Patrol Boats (PBR’s). They are a 28 foot boat with a crew of 4, and very heavily armed, with very little armor for our own protection.

My first 12 months I never received any wounds from enemy fire. Feb 1969 I received minor wounds but was back with my unit in about a week. Then in July 1969 I was wounded a lot more serious in a fire fight with the enemy. For this action L was awarded my 2nd Purple Heart and a Bronze Star but I was also sent to San Diego Naval Hospital for surgeries and to heal from my wounds. In Dec. 1969, after healing I was released from the Hospital and reported to my First Ship for duty as a Gunners Mate (The person who takes care and fires all the small arms, big naval guns, and guided missiles.)

For the next Twenty Years I served on 5 ships, All Guided Missile Cruiser, which are 520 feet long and have 400 men on them. I was also assigned to 4 different shore duty stations, and a tour as an instructor for weapons, ordnance, and gunnery.

After many national crises and various missions to protect American interest around the world I was getting ready to retire when Iraq invaded Kuwait in Aug. 1990 and my retirement was put off for awhile. I was on a ship home ported in Charleston S.C., and in Oct 1990 and off we went to the Persian Gulf with the USS Wisconsin battle group.

After the war was quickly over, we returned to Charleston where I did retire in 1991. I started my career In a war in Vietnam and ended it with a war in the Middle East. It was a good career for me. I served this country for 24 years and retired as A Senior Chief Gunners Mate (E8).

I have been totally around the world on the water and been through both the major cannels in the world. I cannot begin to remember all the places and countries I have been to, but it has been a lot.

I was Proud to serve this country."

Keith Barnette

No comments: