Quote of the Blog


Sunday, November 11, 2012

Scatter Sunshine

This Thanksgiving, Neal and I discussed what we wanted for our family.  What edifying experience could be have ourselves and our sweet children participate in?  We had considered the "thankful tree" where one writes things they are thankful for on paper leaves and add them to a branch.  We did something similar but simpler last year with our "thankful jar."  It was not how we felt directed to go. 

Finally, it came.  We are doing a "Kindness Jar."  We have written on numerous slips of paper that start, "I am kind when I...."  Each evening at dinner, we discuss the kindness listed as we pull a slip from the jar.

I am kind when I clean up after myself.
I am kind when I let my anger go and start over.
I am kind when I obey the first time.
I am kind when I compliment someone's efforts.

Through practicing these kindnesses, we are providing opportunities for people to be thankful and nurturing a spirit of love in our home and community. I have found I am already softer, more patient, and compassionate with my children and that the kids a bit less "me-oriented" and less quick to tantrum.  Now we just have to do our best to keep it up.

This idea was echoed by an admired friend of ours whom we have begun to enjoy combined Family Home Evenings with once a month. The Allredges discussed service and quoted Mosiah 2:17. Then we made Service Turkeys. For every act of service performed this November, the kids get to remove one of the feathers from their turkeys. Cute idea!
Hope you are counting your blessings and giving others lots of reasons to be filled with gratitude!

No comments: